As the Halloween season gets underway, it is important to make sure you’re keeping your teeth safe from any damage that can occur. In addition, it is important to be aware of dental abrasion, which can arise due to heightened sensitivity in your tooth enamel brought on by sugary sweets and treats. Ask yourself the following questions to determine if you are taking the proper steps to help prevent dental abrasion this Halloween season:
– Do you drink plenty of water before, during, and after meals?
– Do you ever switch out unhealthy candy with healthy treats such as fruits and vegetables?
– Do you avoid sticky or chewy candy that can linger in your mouth long after consumption and increase the length of time that tooth decay can occur?
– Do you exercise caution with hard products that can easily chip and crack your teeth, such as candy apples, hard candies, popcorn balls, and unpopped kernels?
– Do you have an effective candy plan in place to choose candy carefully and dispose of any that may be too hazardous to your loved one’s health?
– Are you actively staying away from snacks that can increase your risk for cavities, including sugary sweets that are aplenty during the Halloween season?
– Do you visit your dentist every 6 months for a professional cleaning?
– Do you routinely go to your dentist for check-ups and oral examinations?
– Do you ever use any utensils to help promote saliva flow, including chewing sugarless gum after meals?
– Do you brush with safe and effective tools including brushes with soft bristles and comfortable brush heads?
Know the details about the treats you are giving yourself and your family this season. For more information, or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Nicole Furuta, please contact Lodo Dental at 303-623-5636. You are also welcome to stop by our office in Denver, Colorado.
Have a safe and happy Halloween!